Background and experience
Robin is a director at Wellden Turnbull and specialises in all areas of tax. During Robin’s career he has worked for both large and small firms and was a tax partner in one of the big four chartered accountancy firms. Robin qualified as an ACA and CTA in 1978 and five years later became an FCA. He specialises in tax, but is also an RI authorised to sign audit reports and signs audit reports for many of the company’s larger clients, including those involved with complex financing structures.
Areas of expertise include
- Tax enquiries and investigations, including advising where HMRC are considering or pursuing prosecution
- Offshore trusts and companies, including setting them up and winding them up
- UK trusts, including setting them up and winding them up
- Non domiciles coming to and leaving the UK
- UK domiciled individuals leaving and returning to the UK
- Residence issues and UK domicile rules
- Double tax treaties
- Double tax relief
- International structures
- International tax issues for entertainers
- Stamp duty and stamp duty land tax
- Advice on green energy schemes: wind farms, solar farms, hydropower
- Capital gains tax, including principal private residence relief
- Corporation tax, including groups of companies, UK branches of overseas companies and overseas branches of UK companies
- Sale and purchase of businesses and companies, including advice on entrepreneurs’ relief
- Employee tax, including PAYE
- Advice to people who have purchased tax avoidance schemes, including film schemes, employee benefit trusts
- EIS and SEIS investment arrangements including advice on structuring and getting HMRC advance approval
- Tax implications of divorce
- Family owned businesses
- Inheritance tax, wills and trusts. Authorised to supervise probate work
- Conducting tribunal cases.
- Tax and accounting affairs of entertainers, musicians and performers
- Advising property developers and investors, including housebuilders, student housing developers and PFI contracts
- EIS and SEIS schemes, including advice on structuring and getting advance assurance.
Robin provides general advice on business and financial matters, including involving litigation. He is also an accredited mediator and mediates in commercial matters and relating to divorce settlements, especially where one or more parties are not UK resident or domiciled.
Away from the office
Outside the office, Robin is a governor of a local sixth form college.